Pages

Friday 20 July 2012

Gourmet Sausages and Mash

Last night I whipped up a favourite Aussie dish that many families enjoy weekly... Sausages and mash.

If Australia had a cultural dish, sausages and mash would be one of the top three considerations.

It is such an easy dish and one that you probably wouldn't have to go shopping for as most people would have the ingredients in their cupboard. You only need sausages (whatever kind you like. I sometimes get fancy ones but plain beef will do), potatoes, a brown onion, gravy and peas (I use frozen peas but again, whatever you like), milk and butter for the mash.

1. Start grilling the sausages. Prick with a fork to let the fat escape ( I usually put aluminium foil on the grill first to save cleaning it later)
2. Peel and dice potatoes and cook in microwave. Times for cooking will vary depending on what type of microwave you have
3. Once cooked, add milk and butter according to taste and mash those spuds! Some like to add a bit of cream or cheese but I'm happy with plain mash
4. Slice onion and brown in a pan. Set aside
5. Make sure you check the sausages and turn over to brown all the sides
6. Cook the peas in the microwave
7. The thing that makes my sausages and mash gourmet, is that I don't actually use gravy, I use Woolworths Select Caramelised Onion and Roasted Garlic Reduction. It's quite sweet so you don't need to use a real lot but just heat in the microwave according to the instructions on the packet for 40 seconds


Once the sausages are cooked I usually put the mash on the plate first and the sausages on the mash with the onion on the sausages and peas around the bottom so that when I drizzle the gravy/reduction over the sausages you get it on the mash as well.

This was such a great winter dish last night and I think would go perfectly with a nice glass of peppery Shiraz.

E x


No comments:

Post a Comment